top of page

My parent's room had a bookshelf in front of their bed. Here they stored books and had a TV in the center. The shelf right above the TV was made of glass and would hold one or two photos of family members.

Power shutdowns are still common in the city. They were more frequent when I was growing up. My mother would send my sister and me to light candles all around the house. One night, as we sat together in my parents’ bedroom during a blackout, my mother placed a long candle on top of the TV, where it would illuminate the most.

I knew the candle would break the glass shelf just above it and I watched as the heat slowly stained the belly of the glass. Shortly after, the glass broke in half with a dry noise and the portraits fell to the floor.

I claimed it was my fault. Sometimes I know things before they happen.

April 2018

bottom of page